[Elmers] Looking For Elmer Guidance | Newly Licensed Technician

Rodney Fujiwara fuji08 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 19:54:16 PDT 2019

Hi All,

My name is Rodney, and I just passed my Tech licensing exam about (1) month ago.  Since then I have been online researching + recently stopped by HRO to ask about equipment and what to look for. In addition I have watched countless hours of youtube videos and read all kinds of blogs (not sure if that helped or hurt given all the online misinformation).  In the end I still find myself not really understanding what equipment will best suit my needs (more on that later), and to that end what type of features should I be shopping for, given my needs.  The next issue is not really understanding how to use the radio itself…things like programing, why are there (2) frequencies on the display of this cheap Baofeng, which frequency does what, how do I use/connect to a repeater, how to translate all the acronyms and numbers for each repeater listed on repeaterbook, analog vs digital, HF vs UHF vs VHF, and the list just goes on and on.

I’m hoping there may be an Elmer out there that could help guide me in the right direction and provide some Ham 101 type advice?

So a little about me and what I’m looking to do with Ham Radio:

  *   Live in Laguna Beach
  *   Primarily: looking for Offroad/4x4 communication with other vehicles in my party + portable comms for when I leave the vehicle to do some backcountry recreation (hike, camp, fish)
  *   Secondarily: looking for personal emergency communication abilities in the event of a offroad mechanical failure or backcountry medical emergency. In conjunction with these emergency needs, I also have been intrigued by features like APRS and Autopatch.
  *   I don’t mind spending good money for good products. I actually purchased the Baofeng after having passed my exam, then did a bunch on online shopping homework, then visited HRO…but in the end still felt SOO LOST that I just went on amazon an purchased a cheap Baofeng thinking maybe having something physically in my hands would help me understand better what type of features/equipment I needed. Long story short – I’m now clueless with a cheap Baofeng 😊
  *   Lastly: I want to learn/prepare for a grid down event where “normal” communications are down and I want to gather news or communicate with loved ones and municipal services.
  *   I like hobbies: I like tech, I love cars/trucks, I like DIY, I enjoy turning wrenches / wood working / 3D printing…but given all of these past times I’ve never really understood electronics (maybe why I’m having such a hard time with HAM?)…but I’ve done electronic jobs like replacing car stereos, adding components to computers and similar plug-n-play electronic DIY’s but anything more electronically involved and I’m lost.
  *   FINAL NOTE: In self diagnosing why I cannot seem to get a hang of Ham radio…there are just so many new terms, acronyms, numbers and the like that I don’t understand. I personally learn better top-down OR hands-on OR in-the-field. To date everything I’ve learned is so conceptual & detailed that I just cannot wrap my head around the girth of information to see how to apply it to my narrower needs.

Thanks for taking the time to read my disjointed ramblings and I hope I was able to provide enough information so that I can get paired up with one or more helpful Elmers that can help me get on the air for my desired needs.

PS – I’m willing to drive to a willing Elmer weekdays or weekends.

Kind Regards,
Rodney Fujiwara
KA1SEN
949.241.3377 c