[Elmers] Go Box Power

Ron rfmosher at cox.net
Thu Mar 5 16:40:22 PST 2020

I am building my first go-box and I have a question about the best way to
handle the power connections.  The box includes a Yaesu FT857D and other
related equipment (antenna tuner, Signalink, etc.) that does not draw much
power.  On transmit, the current will be around 22 amps.

The box includes a Samlex 1235M as the power source when AC is available.  I
plan to get a Bioenno 1230AS (30Ah) as the internal battery for
self-contained operation.  I would also like to be able to connect to my
vehicle battery when the vehicle is nearby.  In the future, I would like to
add solar power.

Questions:

1.	Do I need an automatic power switching device, such as the West
Mountain Epic PWRgate, to connect the battery and AC to the radio?
2.	Is there a good alternative to the PWRgate, but maybe better and/or
cheaper?  For example KI0BK has a Low Loss PWRgate; is it any good?  Are
there other quality devices?
3.	Should a 2-battery manual switch (like the ones used on boats to
switch between batteries) be used to isolate the two batteries?

If anyone can help with these questions or offer any other suggestions, I
would be most appreciative.

Ron  KØPGE