WHEN: Typically before each regular club meeting (except June) -- check the club calendar here for dates TIME: 6:00pm - 7:00pm WHERE: Norman P Murray Community Center, 24932 Veterans Way, Mission Viejo COST: $15 per attempt
Pre-registration is not required and you don't need to be a SOARA member to take the test.
What to Bring to an Exam Session
1. A government issued photo ID (driver’s license, passport, etc).
2. When no photo ID is available, two forms of identification must be presented: non-photo ID/driver’s license, birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal), social security card, library card, or utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605.
3. Minors may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID, minor’s work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID.
4. Bring your Social Security Number (SSN) or your FCC-issued Federal Registration Number (FRN). We are required by the FCC to submit either your SSN or your FRN number with your license application form. If you prefer not to give your SSN at the exam session, then you must register your SSN with the FCC before the exam. For instructions on how to register your SSN with the FCC and receive a FRN, visit the FCC’s registration instructions page. DO NOT register for a FRN after supplying your SSN at an exam session as this may probably delay receiving your license.
5. If applicable, bring either the original and a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio license, or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. If your license has already been issued by FCC, the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The photocopy(s) will not be returned.
6. Two good pencils with erasers AND a blue or black ink pen. Scratch paper will be provided.
7. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they’re free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phones’ calculator function may not be used. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may not be used. No written notes or calculations may be brought into the exam session.
8. Bring cash, check, or money order (payable to “ARRL-VEC”) to cover the exam session fee(s) of $15 per attempt.
9. The FCC now offers partial credit for expired General, Advanced or Extra Amateur Radio licenses. A license that has expired and gone beyond the two year grace period will be canceled in the FCC system. The licensee will not automatically qualify for a new license. Previous license holders must take the current 35-question Technician exam (Element 2) at an exam session to return to Amateur Radio. The FCC will issue a new call sign and a new license when the Technician exam is passed. The FCC also offers partial credit for pre-1987 Technician licenses. For rules and instructions on proof required for the partial credit program click here.
If you have further questions after reading this page or would like to do a courtesy registration, please feel free to fill out the contact form below.
Page Last Updated:PT