WHEN: Saturday after Monday Club Meetings TIME: 9:00am - 12:00pm WHERE: Norman P Murray Community Center, 24932 Veterans Way, Mission Viejo or Gilleran Park, 24960 Felipe Road, Mission Viejo (check Activities Calendar for location) TALK IN: 147.645- 110.9hz
SOARA Saturday was started to give our newer members and guests a less formal meeting upon which they can meet up with experienced club members to learn new skills or be introduced to new things in Amateur Radio.
Sometimes SOARA Saturdays will have a topic of discussion, although if you have a specific topic or question you would like to ask, feel free to come and ask!
SOARA Saturday is open to the public and there is no fee to attend. Donuts and coffee are typically provided by SOARA.
8/2016 Pixie QRP kit build & soldering class, Erik KK6UZS
|Jan||01/27/18||Murray||T hunt antennas, tape measure antenna, cubic quad, attenuators|
|Feb||03/03/18||Gilleran||T-hunt practice in the park|
|Mar||03/24/18||Gilleran||HF Operation Demo, power, radio, tuner, antenna|
|Apr||04/21/18||Murray||Kit building, soldering, bring a kit, get started, code practice oscillator|
|May||05/25/18||Murray||Arduino with Display, Temperature, Humidity & Pressure sensor|
|Jun||06/23/18||Gilleran||Field Day, Modular battery box build|
|Jul||07/21/18||Murray||Multimeter 101, Oscilloscopes, Frequency generator, Cap meter, Freq Counter.|
|Aug||08/25/18||Murray||Two Arduinos with 433 MHz & 315 MHz radios, antenna design|
|Sep||09/22/18||Gilleran||Portable Antennas, HF, magnetic loops, vertical, dipoles, random wire|
|Oct||10/20/18||Murray||3D Printing, focus on custom ham radio parts|
|Nov||11/24/18||Murray||Ham Kit Demo, bring your favorite kit, Bitx40, Pine Board, etc.|
|Dec||none||none||No SOARA Saturday in December, Happy Holidays!|
- Jan 27, Murray Center, Transmitter hunting Antennas, bring your parts and we will help you build.
- Instructions to build a PVC tape measure antenna
- 3D print parts for tape measure antenna, designed by WA6ED, STL files
- Build a multiple polarization cubic quad antenna
- $8 offset attenuator kit, you will need a case, coax, connectors…
- Two links above, be sure read the manual & never transmit into the attenuator.
- This is a kit, you will need to add a box, connectors, soldering, and wiring.
- Mar 3, Gilleran Park, T-Hunt Practice in-the-park
- Joe’s website on radio direction finding (RDF)
- This is a book to get started, by Joseph D. Moell, KØOV, and Thomas N. Curlee, WB6UZZ
- Nice presentation on RDF
- Describes several different types of RDF equipment
- Mar 24, Gilleran Park, HF Operation Demo, 12V power, HF radio radio, tuner, antenna
- We setup a HF radio in the park, connect tuner, antenna and power. The antenna is typically a dipole in the trees. Learn how to operate voice depending on band conditions.
- Also check out amazon.com for DX ham radio books
- Apr 21, Murray Center, Kit building, soldering, bring a kit, get started, order your kit early!
- code practice oscillator
- Soldering kit
- Amazon, Icstation DIY Electronics SMD SMT Components Soldering Practice Board Kits
- PIXIE kit, search Ebay or Amazon for Pixie radio kit
- Radio kits
- PowerPole Kits
- http://k9jeb.com/PDC.aspx/ This is not a beginner kit. You need the PowerPole crimp tool.
- May 25, Murray Center, Arduino with Display, Temperature, Humidity & Pressure sensor
- Jun 23, Gilleran Park, Field Day, Modular battery box build
- Build a multi-connector module for a battery box.
- Module can move from battery to battery as batteries drain.
- Jul 21, Murray Center, Multimeter 101, Oscilloscopes, Frequency generator, Cap meter, Freq Counter.
- Learn how to measure volts, current, measure ohms etc.
- Safety using a multimeter
- High voltage probe
- Oscilloscope basics
- Aug 25, Murray Center, Two Arduinos with 433 MHz & 315 MHz radios, antenna design
- Search Amazon, 433MHz or 315MHz receiver transmitter
- Sep 22, Gilleran Park, Portable Antennas, HF, magnetic loops, vertical, dipoles, random wire
- Oct 20, Murray Center, 3D Printing, focus on custom ham radio parts
- Demo 3D printing, bring your 3D prints and your printer if you like
- CAD software overview
- Slicing, Cura and Slicer
- Printers, bring and demo your 3D printer
- Nov 24, Murray Center, Ham Kit Demo, bring your favorite kit, Bitx40, Pine Board, etc.
- Bring some kits completed or not, show off your ideas and handy work.
- Dec, No SOARA Saturday in December
- Happy Holidays!
Past SOARA Saturdays
4/2017 Paint can HF dummy load kit build
The SWR was typically 1.22 : 1 or better up to 30 MHz!
3/2017 DMR Workshop, Presented by Mikkel NR6E
3/2017 Field Strength Meter kit build inside multimeter
10/22/2016 Tape measure T-hunt antenna build with attenuator
Page Last Updated:PT